At Swish we are used to seasoned travellers, some of whom are of the four-legged variety. We understand that it can be hard to leave your furry family members at home, trusting their care to someone else, so we appreciate that a holiday may not be the same without your pet. Many of our villas are pet friendly, and we know how to make your pooch feel as pampered as you on holiday. Dogs, cats, ferrets, and other furry creatures seem happy enjoying all that Marbella has to offer, but in some cases it may be more beneficial for them and you to leave them behind.
In this blog we explore the subject of pets on vacation for those who remain undecided.
Why Marbella is Great for Pets
If you’re looking for a glamorous getaway that’s also pet-friendly, look no further than Marbella. This Spanish seaside town is a popular destination for both celebrities and animal lovers, and it’s easy to see why. From its chic boutiques and art galleries to its stunning beaches and Michelin starred restaurants, Marbella has something for everyone. And thanks to its many pet-friendly villas and businesses, it’s the perfect place to bring your furry friend.
Browse our range of pet friendly villas here.
Why You Might Prefer to Leave your Pet at Home
Though it may break your heart to leave them behind, there are a few reasons why you might prefer to leave your pet at home the next time you go on vacation. For one, it can be hard to find accommodation that is pet friendly. However, at Swish we offer rentals that welcome pets – just look for the “Pet Friendly” symbol!
There is plenty to organise when bringing the furries along and even some red tape: If you’re travelling with a pet from within the EU the rules can be found here. From outside the EU, the rules are even stricter so make sure you have planned all the vaccinations and obtained all the necessary documents before you travel.
In addition, as lovely as they are, your little fluff-balls can be a handful when travelling, from getting motion sickness in the car to the added stress of making sure they don’t run off or get into mischief. Think and plan carefully before the trip.
Another point to consider is the Marbella summer temperatures. Remember that pets and heat don’t always mix and it’s important to consider how your pet will cope in it. Even though Marbella has a cooling sea breeze, plenty of open spaces and dog beaches, it’s still important to follow some safety rules in the summer months.
Protecting your Pet from the Heat in Andalucía
Pets can get dehydrated easily, and their fur can hold a lot of heat. Their paws can also get burned on hot pavements, so some simple tips will help them keep cool.
- One way to protect your pet’s paws is to apply a pet-safe sunscreen. This will help to prevent burns and blisters.
- Avoid hot pavements by walking them on the grass instead. If it’s too hot to walk them, put their paw protection on and let them play in sprinklers or near water.
- If you have a dog, consider investing in a cooling mat or bed. These are specifically designed to keep dogs cool and are perfect for sizzling summer days. Swish can organise this for you if needed.
- Avoid taking your pets for long walks during the hottest part of the day (between 12-16:00). Instead, walk them early in the morning or late at night when it’s cooler.
- Never leave your precious animals in a parked car, even for just a few minutes. Cars can heat up quickly, even on mild days, and this can be dangerous for your little fluffy ones.
- Carry a collapsible dog bowl on the lead with you so your dog can drink water on the go. On the Marbella promenade there are many water fountains, and all cafes are more than happy to fill your bowl with water. Feel free to contact Swish for one!
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your pets stay safe and comfortable during the summer months and that your four-legged friends will have a glamorous, Swish holiday just as good as yours.
Why You Should Bring Your Pet on Holiday in Marbella
The reasons for bringing your pet to Marbella are plentiful. They can benefit from the continued contact with you and other family members, and enjoy roaming free in gardens, dog beaches or splashing about near the pool. Restaurants here often accept dogs, especially on outdoor terraces and you can even take dogs shopping too. El Corte ingles allows dogs inside, but for those super stylish pooches, nothing beats a stroll around Puerto Banus!
Caring for your animal abroad should be no problem in Marbella, either. There are great vets, pet shops and even doggie clothing boutiques. Your Swish concierge can help order in the right food for your pet before you arrive to make sure they feel comfortable.
To summarise, Swish welcome pets as part of the family and we love to cater to all our guests’ needs, even if they are not human! It’s an individual choice about whether to bring them or trust their care to someone else while you’re away.
If you would like to discuss the arrangements for your pet on your next trip to Marbella, we are only a phone call away.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
News, stories, interviews, guides, dreamy travel and fun.